Wednesday, April 30, 2008

This can't be right, can it?


Well, I figured some of you would get a kick out of this pic. Politically correct? Absolutely not. Does it really matter? Absolutely not. Going on my now 5th day in HK, I'm not quite sure what I think about this city/SAR. My relationship with this beautiful/ugly city is two-fold. At times HK takes my breath away, a la Berlin song. At other times, I just shake my head and think, that ain't right! Seriously.


For instance, yesterday, Jennie and I were ridding the tram (which has become our favourite mode of transportation, at a mere HK$2.00 per ride, or about CND$ 0.25) and enjoying the morning bustle of Central, with all the little worker bees, thousands of them, running off to their jobs. Then, the tram came to a stop, as it usually does at cross-walks. But this stop was of a different kind. And believe me, I wish I had my camera ready for this one. I check out in front from our second-level seat, only to see some dude hanging his head outside his buddy's BMW, hurling last night's party sauce. And not just the slight evacuation. We're talking projectile.


What's the point of me telling you this? Well, it was funny as hell, gross, frustrating (we seriously missed two green lights cause the buddy didn't want to drive away with his friend puking off the side of his nice BMW 5 Series, and thus dirty his cute paint job), and all out confusing. Just like my experiences in HK. For each cool moment, I've had just as many "serenity now" moments. And not over the course of several hours. We're talking in the same instance! Take my day trip to Lamma Island yesterday, a short ferry ride away from HK Island. This was to be a nice escape from the hustle and bustle of the city. No cars. Fishing villages. Beaches. You know it!




Pretty cool. Jennie and I stop for some awesome dumplings for breakfast. This is nice!



This was what I was looking for! So we finish eating, keep walking along the village, making our way through the trail. We see some cute dogs (one looked like a cross between a Rottweiler and my dog Duncan, and Basset Hound). Then, as we cross a clearing near one of the mountains, some of the smoke stacks from the HUGE power station appear. This was my take on it. For another check out Jennie's blog: http://footprintsinasia.blogspot.com/



Happy times. I guess even sleepy fishing villages, with no cars, need their multi million mega-ton producing coal generators.


Whatever the confusion/frustration with the paradox of the beautiful Lamma Island scenery with the HUGE eye-sore, it was worth it for the awesome meal at the end of the hike! What made it even better was that is was sold to us by a very enthusiastic restaurant owner who literally jumped at us and told us all about his specials for us. He obviously knows the ABC of sales: Always Be Closing. And what a close he did. At the end of his routine, as we walked away, he gave Jennie and me a wink, and exclaimed in a rather high pitched voice: "You give me money, I give you food!"


Hehehe, I love it.



ZA

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You even found a hat to match you shirt.