Monday, April 28, 2008

2 Days in Hong Kong: Damn you Road sign God!!!!

Hello again,

You may remember that last time you read about this trip, I was still in St-Bruno, chilling in my parents' back yard, awaiting my first of many flights on this four month epic trip I have dubbed "Monkey Time". Well today, only a couple of days later, I find myself writing this post atop Victoria Peak (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Peak), one of the main summits on Hong Kong Island. I'm in the ultra touristy and cheezy summit Peak Tower, where one can enjoy, among other things: Burger King, BubbaGump shrimp restaurant (yes, from the movie) or tons of high end boutiques, etc. Very odd indeed. But it is, what it is. I've come to expect the unexpected in Hong Kong.

For instance, our first night here, after the actually really good 16 hour flight on Continental (seriously, if you have to be on a plane that long, I can't imagine it being any better than Continental's flight was...hopefully someone at Continental reads this and gives me free flights, so I can post some more about HOW AWESOME FLYING ON CONTINENTAL AIRLINES IS! FOR GOOD TIMES, MAKE IT CONTINENTAL TIMES!

Anyways, after landing, Jennie and I headed for dt HK and walked around the sea of neon lights and really fast walking/talking people all over the street. The goal: find our hostel. The challenge: no signage. Whatsoever. Luckily, some really nice shopgirls in a high end clothing store, dressed up like little school girls, and their clients, helped us find our way and even called the hostel for us. How nice!

Our first day was spent walking around, getting our bearings, and zig-zagging from side to the other of the free way system. Because in my foolishness, I thought that walking along the harbour would be scenic. WRAONG! But anyways, we made it to city hall, 2 hours later and had some awesome dim sum. Then we walked up the city a bit towards the botanical and zoological gardens. This was a really chill (and FREE) park with quite a few birds and gardens, and... MONKEYS. Oh yes, your humble scribe only needed one day to encounter the monkeys and apes he sought so dearly. Well, mission accomplished. Jennie and I had the pleasure of enjoying some macaques, lemures, samure monkeys, and the highlight, some huge Orangutans. Especially when one female decided to climb for what we thought would be some acrobatic feats, only to surprise us with a down pour of supreme urination. Thank you female orangutan, for the laughs!

We also checked out some cool aviaries and some more chilled out Hong Kong Park scenery in the middle of the hectic scene that is this crazy city.

And last night, Jennie and I also watched the latest Jackie Chan and Jet Li gōngfū (kung fu) movie called Forbidden Kingdom. A little cheezy, but cool to see a kung fu movie in the land of Bruce Lee. Speaking of which, we got our picture taken with a wax figure of the legendary martial artist.
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

Well, I have far exceeded my 15 minute time limit on this computer, so I bid you a fond farewell until my next post.

Gambei!
ZA

3 comments:

T said...

Vary, vary nice! I want pics, though, because I'm having trouble imagining how it all looks. I'll let my co-worker who works with Continental know how much you liked the flight, and he can pass your comments on...

Unknown said...

Good monkey story. I am sure there will be more to come. Go Habs Go!

Unknown said...

I once encountered a women in black but I cant talk about it. But there was this one in a fur coat What's the matter Madame, she wont let me tell my story. Tony boy if this means free tickets I have a few stories involving gymnasts on a special flight that I once took, why do I have to go to bed now I,m getting started. OK Madame says I got to go to bed now. Hong mang pingwan in the tree. bongo said